The Barmote Court still provides clay pipes to members.
The limestone area to the north of Ashbourne has been an important source of lead from Roman times. In 1287, King Edward 1 called a Barmote, an early form of industrial court, to discuss the control of the local lead trade. This assembly was held in St Oswald’s Church, which shows the importance of the Town locally at that time.
The Barmote Court continues to this day to regulate local lead mining, although its duties are now mainly ceremonial and it meets in Wirksworth. The head on the easternmost pillar in the nave of St Oswald's Church is believed to depict King Edward 1.