In 1897 a photograph was taken of the premises after the demolition of the old two storied building and before the building of the new three storied building. The photograph was nothing to do with the building works but was to record the celebrations for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The shop just happened to be in the background.
ADIN's started trading as glass, china and earthenware dealers at 33 Market Place, when Elizabeth Adin inherited the property in the will of Samuel Griffiths in 1833. Elizabeth had come to Ashbourne from Uttoxeter around 1795 with her parents, William and Ann Adin. The shop at 33 Market Place remained in the control of her family and descendants from 1833 to 1963 through 5 generations. The premises at 31 Market Place were incorporated into the business from 1925 to 1958.
In 1897 31 and 33 Market Place were rebuilt. A two story building was replaced with the three story one which is the one still standing today. There is a picture of the premises after the demolition of the old and before the building of the new.
In 1923 John Adin, senior, died aged 74. The family had now occupied No 33 Market Place for 90 years. In the same period, next door, No 31, had passed through a number of traders. Mr Thomas Sherratt had a barber's shop before the alterations of 1897. (His barber’s pole can be seen in an old picture.) After this it became a branch of C. Hill & Co, who sold shoes. The shoe shop was followed by the Ashbourne Egg and Poultry Co-operative Society.
Between 1923 and 1925 No 31 was incorporated into the Adin family business and in 1933 the business changed direction. The stock of Glass, China and Earthenware was sold off and Number 33 became a Gents Outfitter. Number 31 opened as a companion shop selling Ladies’ and Children’s Wear and also Haberdashery.
Throughout the time that the Adins were in business, the goods were also sold door-to-door in the villages and country-side around Ashbourne. First of all this was done
with a pony and trap, supported by a limited journey on a bicycle with a basket strapped to the front. Later motor vehicles were introduced.
By 1958 business was declining and Number 33 was sold to Kayjays Electrical. Today it is the Bear Patch. The Adin business finally closed, after 130 years in 1963. No 31 became a babywear shop "Pride and Joy". Today it is Elliotts.