Nos 24 to 26 were erected as one house in the Queen Anne period, probably by the Rev Robert Beardmore, a Northampton clergyman of Derbyshire origin, as a gentleman's residence. The building is unusual in Ashbourne in having its front divided into 3 bays by 2 giant fluted pilasters.
The modern shop front was introduced about 1930 when Albert Hulme converted the house into a fish, game and poultry shop. At the western end is a small coach-house.
In 1785, the house was acquired by the Harshorne family, who were wealthy maltsters and erected a malthouse at the rear. Some of the old malthouse can be seen at the rear of the property (walk down the yard alongside the neighbouring antique shops to view - note the railway goods vehicle used a shed on the right as you enter the yard). This branch of the Hartshorne family emigrated to Canada in the mid-1900s.
The frontage is divided into 3 bays by giant fluted pilasters (slightly projecting columns) topped with ionic capitals and oval medallions. The modern (c1930) shop front is bisected by one of the western pilaster. At roof level, there is a heavy moulded plaster cornice, flanked by stone copings. Compare the building with its neighbour (No 28, - The Antique Shops). This was also built as a gentleman’s residence only 10 years later than No 24-26 but fashionable styles were changing and No 28 has a much plainer front with a brick parapet on the roof. This was a more prevalent style in the later Georgian period. Note the fine shell hood over the central doorway of 28.