The Ashbourne map of 1547 shows a standing cross in the churchyard; could the remains of the Saxon cross in the Boothby Chapel be part of the one shown on the map?
During the Saxon period, Christian missionaries seeking to convert pagans to Christianity would erect a cross to mark the place where the priest would preach, often on or near the site of an existing pagan shrine. A number of such crosses can still be seen locally, in Ilam and Bradbourne churchyards for example. However, none are left in St Oswald’s churchyard, but the remains of a Saxon cross can be seen in the Boothby Chapel in the Church’s north transept. One piece, which looks like the arm of a cross, has an interlacing cord pattern of possibly Danish design. The Ashbourne map of 1547 shows a standing cross in the churchyard; could this be part of that cross?